Uhuru-Spirit News


August 13, 2017 | Uhuruspirit

A supporter of the opposition leader Raila Odinga faces off against police officers during a protest in the Kibera area of Nairobi, Kenya, on Saturday. (Dai Kurokawa / European Pressphoto Agency)

Kenya's opposition on Saturday said 100 innocent Kenyans were killed in post-election violence, while the government denied police used live ammunition to quell protests after the re-election of President Uhuru Kenyatta.

Various witness reports from Saturday suggested several people were killed during demonstrations that broke out in opposition strongholds after the announcement of the election results on Friday evening.

The Kenya Human Rights Commission meanwhile said it counted 24 deaths since Tuesday's election, most of them in the capital, Nairobi.

The Kenyan Red Cross said it had attended to 93 injured people in Nairobi and in several western localities after young protesters waged running battles with police.

The Red Cross said more than 2,000 of its personnel initially experienced difficulties in accessing parts of Nairobi and of the western Nyanza region "due to intense protests and safety concerns." Youths manned roadblocks in some areas, according to the statement.

Police were "personally responsible for violations of Kenyan and international human rights law" in their treatment of those protesting the election result, the opposition coalition National Super Alliance (NASA), which alleges electoral fraud, said at a press conference in Nairobi.

"This state terror is being executed following a very meticulous preparation," said NASA member James Orengo. "They knew they would steal an election, so all the instruments were put in place."

Orengo was however unable to specify the source of the death toll of 100 people. He said 10 of the dead were children.

The government on Saturday said that it had no information to suggest that anyone died in the protests.

"Police have not used live bullets on peaceful protesters," said Interior Minister Fred Matiang'i.

However he also described some of the protesters as "opportunistic criminals and looters" who had to be "dealt with," claiming they were attempting to use the fluid political situation to engage in criminal activity.

Opondo Kaluma, a lawmaker from protest-hit Homa Bay, said the security forces who put down the demonstrations in his area were not regular police officers but from the military.

In the Nairobi slum of Mathare, around 20 people were injured, with at least four suffering from gunshot wounds, the humanitarian organization Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said.

Amnesty International said it had received credible reports that three people had been shot in the protests: one in Nairobi's Kibera slum and two in the western district of Kisumu.

Kenya's electoral commission announced on Friday that Kenyatta, 55, who has been in office since 2013, won a second five-year term with 54.27 per cent of the vote. His rival, 72-year-old opposition leader Raila Odinga, secured 44.74 per cent.

Before the final announcement, representatives of Odinga's NASA walked out of the electoral centre in Nairobi, saying they were "not going to be party" to the announcement because their concerns about the vote's legitimacy were not "adequately addressed."

Tuesday's elections in Kenya were dogged by fears of unrest.


Post your Comments

comments powered by Disqus


Latest Additions

Kwame Nkrumah

Nnamdi Azikiwe

Pixley ka Isaka Seme

Robert Sobukwe

George Padmore

Read Biography>>>


Latest Additions

Robert Mugabe

Goodluck Jonathan

Mwai Kibaki

Winnie Mandela

Thabo Mbeki

Read Biography >>>